You’re here because, like us, you believe the arts are the highest form of human expression. They describe beauty, speak to our soul, engage and enrage. They celebrate our community’s diversity and etch our shared experience. The arts inspire.
It’s your turn to inspire Detroit’s vibrant local arts scene and enrich the city’s neighborhoods.
The Knight Arts Challenge Detroit is a $9 million initiative to draw the best and most innovative ideas out of local organizations and individuals seeking to engage and enrich the community through the arts. Whether you’re an independent artist, business, established arts institution, organization or individual – we want to hear from you.
No idea is too large or too small, as long as it follows three basic rules
- Your idea is about arts.
- Your project takes place in or benefits Detroit.
- You find other funding to match Knight Foundation’s grant.
You will have approximately one year from the time you receive the grant to match our funding. If it is a multi-year project, you will have about a year to match each year’s grant amount.
Finalists for the challenge will be announced in summer 2014, and those projects will be asked to submit a more detailed proposal. Winners will be announced in September.
The initial, two-question, 150-word applications are accepted at KnightArts.org during an annual application period.
- “Knight Arts Challenge Detroit: Building on the city’s momentum” – by Dennis Scholl, March 25, 2013
- “How to present a winning idea for the Knight Arts Challenge” – by Erica Perdue, April 7, 2013
- “Ask me anything Detroit” – by Tatiana Hernandez, March 29, 2013
- “Knight Foundation invests $19.25 million in Detroit arts” – Oct. 23, 2012 press release
- “Announcing 84 Finalists in Detroit Knight Arts Challenge” (June 17, 2013 blog post)
- ”56 Winners were announced for the 2013 Knight Arts Challenge Detroit” – Sept. 2013 press release