By Dana Bassett, Roofless Records
11 “So Roofless” moments from 2011…
- Recipient of the Miami New Times 2011 Mastermind Award in the SOUND Category
- Experience Sobriety CD + Book Release (3-05-11). The President releases his definitive statement, Packaged with original cover art by Brian Butler, a massive 30+ page insert complete with illustrated lyrics and supplemental literature, as well as The President’s debut album, LeBron, and bonus tracks including b-sides, covers and demos (a whopping 33 songs).
- Kenny Millions vs. The World. Roofless and Motown session player turned free-jazz freakster, Kenny Millions, go together like marmite potato chips and chocolate sprinkles.
- Meat Tape Release / Roofless Records 2011 Showcase. One of the best sounding records Roofless ever released came out just in time for the band to implode, break up and move to different parts of the country.
- Cinema Sounds #8 + 9 at O Cinema. Cinema Sounds is a signature Roofless event in which bands chose a scene from a film (any film) and then score the excerpt live in a movie theater. Sets range from highly composed masterworks to improvisational divination and have featured blockbusters, children’s movies, sci-fi classics, art house cult classics, homemade videos and more.
- On The Road To Voice of the Valley Noise Rally. The highlight of our summer was teaming up with psychedelic impressionists bleedingpalm.com to document the 2011 Voice of the Valley Noise Rally a 3-day experimenta camp-out music festival in the mountains of Pentress, West Virginia.
- FUN “Fair Sessions” / Miami Micro-Show #2. Philadelphia sound-art duo FUN colonized the Charest-Weinberg booth at the Wynwood Art Fair and turned it into their own personal post-non-music recording studio and performance space. They also performed with 29 other bands at the second ever Miami Micro-Show (in which bands perform for one minute or are stopped, forcefully, by the audience) at General Practice in Midtown.
- Bill Orcutt Live At Bologna Pony. It’s always an honor to work with avant acoustic guitar innovator Bill Orcutt on his annual Miami homecoming show. Formerly the guitarist for cult Miami experimental rock/noise band, Harry Pussy, Bill has refined the cathartic squall of his previous ensemble into some of the most raw, vulnerable music we’ve ever heard.
- Meager Sunlight / Skeleton Warrior Split LP. Our flagship band, Tampa’s Skeleton Warrior teams up with Providence’s Meager Sunlight to put out a capstone statement of the current synth-pop and experimental electronic era. Check out the link in our store!
- 5 Years of Roofless. How are we still alive?
- Knight Arts Challenge. The straw that breaks the camel’s back.